Thursday, August 18, 2011

What are your thoughts on Federer's recent comments in the press?

He made a comment that he's not really no.2, but either a grand slam champion or no.1 in the world. I found this comment arrogant at first, and wrote a harsh answer about it (responding to a question), but when I thought about it, he's just trying to pump himself up to try and get the no.1 back. I have been unfair to Federer in the past (mainly about some of his comments), and I was very wrong for doing it. He worked very hard to perfect his tennis skills and win all those major tournaments. The way he remains positive before, during and after matches is the reason he has remained at the top for so long. After his loss to Simon, he immediately put a positive spin on the match, to encourage himself for the next match - not many players are capable of doing that, but start to feel dejected. Also, the more I watch him the more I realize, that there has been no other player who has this combination of fluidity and winning tennis. Some players who have a fluid, beautiful style are not consistent winners. Federer combines beauty with power - a rare combo.

No comments:

Post a Comment